Other Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Wales Moths (29th June 2013)

The second part of Wales was situated around Cardigan Bay (Ceredigion). The place of residence was a series of accommodations within the fields just above Llangrannog known as Wig Farm. It was one of those little forest havens where you could find all of the local wildlife in one place. I may post more on the farm later, but for now I'll detail moths.

So after many years of "promised" moth traps this little cottage with outside lights was my first opportunity for a bit of "mothing". Its location off in the rural farmlands meant there was no light competition, so even though the lights were obviously not designed for attracting moths it still had the potential to bring in a lot.

But I had no trap, so I had to walk backwards and forwards between the outside lights with a little £1 net. This is the point where the people with their fancy professional moth traps laugh. But despite first thoughts, mothing for £1 was not as much a failure as I expected.

Since I didn't even consider bringing any pots or boxes to capture them I had to manage with a mosquito-killing spray box (with 2 holes in where the brown lacewing kept escaping) and one plastic box. Fitting over thirty moths into one box? Not fun.

Beginner's luck doesn't relate to this introductory moth evening. I blame the lack of boxes. Fancy names in blue are ones I have not seen before. This is about where the people with their fancy professional moth traps laugh again seeing what is "new" for me.

Time: 10-11pm
Species recorded: 5
Common---Silver-ground carpet
Posting this for the sake of those who have no
idea what a silver-ground carpet is. Beautiful, but common.

Common---Grey pug
Nb---------Waved Carpet
Waved carpet. Its funny how the nondescript
and boring looking moths tend to be the rarest.

Common---Common marbled carpet
Common---Brown China-mark

Also recorded (non-moths):
*Siphonoperla torrentium
A green stonefly. I've only seen brown ones before so this was nice.

*Panorpa germanica  (Scorpionfly)
*Nephrotoma appendiculata (Cranefly)


No comments:

Post a Comment