Other Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Five Birds of Spring

So you may have heard me mention the 5 birds of Spring. Chances are you have gone on google by now and searched it up; you won't find it, at least not the version I go by. That is because the version I reference is made up on my own.

I decided out of pure boredom to invent a spring indicator for my area. However each year different birds appear at different times, so I remembered the "5 flowers of spring" and composed a "5 birds of spring" for Agoura Hills (though it would work in the Los Angeles area as well). As I haven't been in this state for a year yet (arrived here in July) I am judging the list by 1. the birds I saw leave in fall migration, 2. the birds that are known to return to the same location next spring and 3. basic knowledge of Aves.

The birds I consider to be in the Five Birds of Spring grouping are as follows:

Hooded Oriole
 (March 26th, 2012 (3pm)- Oak Creek)

Bullock's Oriole
 (April 4th, 2012 (3pm)- Oak Creek)

Black-headed Grosbeak
 (April 5th, 2012 (8am)- Oak Creek)

Yellow Warbler
 (April 2nd, 2012 (8am)- Oak Creek/Chumash Park)

Western Tanager
 (Currently unaccounted for)

When I have seen all of the 5 then it is officially Spring for Agoura Hills. At the time of writing only the Western Tanager remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment